Friday, February 09, 2007

Fellowships to Rochester and ISB, Carnegie Interview

After my interview in Delhi, I got an admission offer and a 20% tuition fellowship from Rochester on Tuesday. This evening, I got an sms from ISB offering me admission and later an email offering me a 22% fellowship. Rochester has given me till May 1st to decide while ISB has given me only 15 days! Thats a really short time to decide. My parents are both in favour of me joining ISB and while my dad said it openly, my mother pretends to be impartial. ISB seems to them to be a safer bet, and I think every parent, no matter what they say, would like their children somewhere close by. I on the other hand though, especially after spending the past 7 years here, want to be far away. I'm not sure of what to do, though I think I would prefer Notre Dame for the change of pace, wider exposure, diversity and more non-techie students, the two year course with the internship and so on. Anyway, I have to decide in the next couple of days since Beks and I are off on our month long trip from Monday onwards. Any views will be appreciated.

In other news, I had a telephone interview with Carnegie Mellon on Tuesday which I think went off pretty well. They'll let me know their final decision by March 12th. INSEAD invited me for an interview but the alumni I was supposed to meet in Cochin said he's out of town for the next couple of months. Since I will anyway be travelling in North India for the next month, I've asked them to hook me up with an alumni in Delhi to meet for the interview. They will let me know their final decision by March 14th. Anyway, all these dates won't really matter if I decide to take up ISB... In other schools, I'm still waiting to hear from Duke and LBS. The more I think about it, 15 days is really too short a time to finalize on a school.

9 comments:

Necrozma said...

That's a tough decision. I think if you want your future to be open to being outside of India, you should come to the US. I think you'll have a great time here.

Alex said...

I think that scholarships/fellowships are great, but they should not be influencing your admit decisions.
In the grand scheme of things, it does not really matter if its going to be $100K or $120K you're going to spend on it? what matters is brand, and post graduate opportunities.

Inblue said...

that's a lot of news. I hear ya on your ISB thoughts.

Think about the pro,cons eth, though I am sure ISB is only going to grow in the coming years.

Anonymous said...

ISB instead of INSEAD/LBS? You will probably be working 35 years after your MBA..wouldn't you want to get into a top program?

Clear Admit said...

Hi Rohit! As you may have seen in our blog earlier today, your blog has been nominated for Clear Admit's annual Best of Blogging Awards. You can find more information about the contest and a complete list of the nominees at http://blog.clearadmit.com/2007/04/best-of-blogging-nominees-2007/.

Input from the nominees is a key part of establishing the final ranking, so we'd love to have you participate. If you're interested in voting, simply email us at bestofblogging@clearadmit.com to receive a ballot.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Best,
the Clear Admit team

Anonymous said...

Hello, We have launched AspirantHunt, platform for connecting MBA aspirants with admission committees of business schools looking for the right fit for their schools.

You can also hear about the chances of getting into the b-schools you have dreamt for from our experts free of cost.

Please have a look into it


http://www.aspiranthunt.com

Wish you all the best
AspirantHunt Team
AspirantHunt - Connecting MBA Aspirants to the Best Business Schools

nisha said...

You made some good points there. I did a search on the topic and found most people will agree with your blog.
bba india

Top B Schools in India said...

The participants can subsequently specialize in areas of their choice and suiting their requirements.

Unknown said...

www.directadmissionmba.in