Sunday, September 03, 2006

Essays and Blogging

After spending hours writing and editing essays, typing more might be the last thing that some people might think of. I however like to OD on stuff. I guess that blogging is also a contrast and relaxation thing compared to essays. You don't have to worry about planning out what to say, structure, relevance, editing out, or sticking to any word limit. And also, you dont have to worry about expectations.

Worries about expectations of people on the adcom are just creeping up on me. I did my essays for my first couple of schools quite quickly without too much editing, except making it more concise and clearer of course. The first times were easy because I have never worked on an application proces before and so didn't think too much about it, and just wrote from the heart. So I guess the essays are very true to who I am, but now that its done, I am starting to wonder about whether I am the kind of person that adcoms think are suited for an MBA.

There's a lot of talk on websites and discussions on "Indian Male Admit Ratio" and "what are adcoms looking for and so on". Meeting, or atleast hearing Mr. Thomas Caleel, Wharton Admission Director, at the Bangalore reception was reassuring. He seemed pretty much like a regular guy, and didn't seem like he was hiding some secret to how they actually choose candidates. Anyway, back on the web for a couple of days and thoughts are creeping back. The Wharton student2student discussion is a very good place to go for some reassurance again. Faith swings like a pendulum between the poles of certainty and doubt.

Back to blogging and essays, I guess writing the essays one always has to use "judgement" on what to write, and what is most relevant to the topic. But sometimes after you edit out something, you stil keep thinking about it, and building up on it, and finally have to write it down somewhere, without caring about it. And Blogger comes to the rescue.

I don't know whether I'm lazy but I don't feel I can plan out essays on what the adcom wants to hear. I think its too much work, and anyway, after all the research and reading, I still haven't got a clear idea of what they are looking for. I feel that the weakest point in my apps are possibly my college marks which are anyway too late to change. My goals and stuff can't really be changed much, and my personal qualities can't be changed at all. BTW, I put my slight obsessive compulsive disorder as the personal quality that will help the Wharton adcom know me better.

At the end, if I don't get admitted anywhere, maybe I am not cut out for it. I guess I have to trust the adcom's judgement in deciding that. I can just hope to give them as clear an idea as I can of who I am and what is important to me, in a total of around 3000 words.

4 comments:

Inblue said...

Yes Mr dictator we can start a government together but lets wait a while or call it the carribean "opportune moment". ha ha.

BTW a govenment is not the only solution. Education is the improvement we need, add to it capital and infrastructure and you get the balance. The government is of people. Unless man himself is enlightened and satisfied, its unlikely that another man by him will help him get satisfaction

Ro said...

Exactly, infrastructure and education are the primary needs for long term development and growth. And it is the government which has to make sure the people get access to good quality education, healtcare and infrastructure. I had written a previous post about infrastructure spending

Juggler said...

"At the end, if I don't get admitted anywhere, maybe I am not cut out for it."

A simple way to stay motivated is to not even consider this option when you are applying!

Not being very preachy or anything, still...

Ro said...

i guess thats true, and i dont know whether i will ever believe that i'm not cut out for it, even if i'm not admitted.

However, I am also trying to practice detachment. i believe you can see clearer if you're detached from the problem.

usually its fear (of losing something you have) or greed (to get something you dont have) which prevents us from being detached. in this case, i wouldn't call my desire to get into B-school "greed" but that sentence was still just there as a detachment buffer:)